Paleo Cauliflower Fried Rice With Paleo Bread
There are many many many dishes that I miss eating, on paleo or not. The days of eating whatever I want, whenever I want have been long gone for more than half of my life but I still crave those memorable dishes and one of those dishes for me is fried rice. My grandfather used to insist on taking my family out to this incredible Chinese restaurant “Sun Sun” at least twice a week. They were known for their fried rice and almond chicken and I could devour almost half of the “family” size plate of rice. I never quite understood how I could manage that?! I have always been a light eater who eats several meals throughout the day but when I was at Sun Sun, my whole appetite shifted to make room for as much rice as I could handle.
I have been a healthy eater for most of my life, giving up Chinese food for sushi and carbs for vegetables. In my search for healthy substitutions, I was shocked to learn that you could make cauliflower into rice like consistency! I didn’t really think it would work considering that I typically steamed cauliflower, therefore making it rather soft. I have probably made the rice about 3 times where it turned out to be a mushy mess, tasty but mushy. Since then I have figured out the key step in the process; once you break up the head of cauliflower into 8 chunks, toss only half of it into a food processor and only pulse it about 15-20 times. What I was doing wrong before is that I would cook the cauliflower first, then put it into the food processor and it just turned into a mess. The next KEY step is to zap it in the microwave in two separate batches for about 1 ½ minutes to cook it just a little bit before you start frying it up. That’s really all you need to make an incredibly healthy fried rice dish, the rest is all the ingredients you add to jazz it up. You can eat this as a meal or a side dish knowing that you are not consuming the typical calories of 250-350 per serving. Cauliflower only has about 30 calories per serving (1 cup)! That’s what I’m talking about!
2 Tbs. coconut oil
1 head of cauliflower,
3 slices of nitrate free organic sliced ham, sliced (you can use bacon too, it’s amazing with bacon!)
1 c. broccoli, cut and cooked (I like to use broccoli but you can use other vegetables as well)
2 eggs, scrambled
2 Tbs. green onions, sliced
Julian Bakery Coconut Paleo Bread™
- Cut up the cauliflower into about 8 large chunks and put it into a food processor in 2 separate batches and pulse 15-20 times until it’s cut up into small bits that resemble the size if rice
- Microwave the cauliflower in 2 separate batches for about 1 ½ minutes and set aside
- In a large pan, add 1 Tbs. of coconut oil and eggs and cook until done and set aside
- In the same pan, add the other Tbs. of coconut oil and ham (or cooked bacon) and cook for about 2 minutes until slightly browned. Then add the cauliflower and broccoli and combine and cook until hot
- Serve with toasted Julian Bakery Coconut Paleo bread, enjoy!
By: Paleo Princess
Julian Bakery Paleo Store
Julian Bakery Blog (Paleo Recipes & Meals)